There are so many great things to do and see in and around Leominster during the summer and our dental team always tries to make the most of it. The outdoors call during summer, but there are some safety precautions that our dentists and staff take while enjoying the outdoors near Leominster. Here are some tips on enjoying the summer safely:
- Be safely active – Many people enjoy the opportunity to play sports outdoors during the summer as people get more active. The exercise and mental stimulation that comes with playing a sport are great! Make sure to wear a well-fitting, comfortable mouthguard while playing sports, however. This little precaution can save you from an accident that could lead to a trip to the dentist and require cosmetic dental work.
- Stay hydrated for dental and overall health – Combine heat, outdoor activity, and maybe a few alcoholic beverages and it’s very easy to get dehydrated during the summer. Hydration is important for overall health but it’s also extremely important for keeping the saliva flowing in the mouth, protecting teeth from cavity causing bacteria. Combining a dry mouth with sugary or acidic drinks is a recipe for dental disaster.
- Watch out for cyanobacteria – While not dental related, this is health tip is also worth keeping in mind while swimming at one of the ponds or lakes around Leominster. Ponds and lakes can have large growths of bacteria that produce toxins, making the water unfit for swimming. These bacteria can become more active in the summer, especially after a storm. Keep an eye out for advisories online and for signs warning of a bacteria outbreak in the water.
- Watch out for ticks and mosquitoes – Any resident of Leominster probably already knows to watch out for ticks due to the Lyme Disease they might carry. Mosquitoes can also carry disease, however, and are more than just an itchy annoyance. Mosquitoes can carry West Nile Virus and Eastern Equine Encephalitis. Keep an eye out for local reported cases of these diseases and make sure to wear airy long clothes to protect your skin. Bug sprays containing DEET are also extremely effective at repelling bugs.
- Make sure to wear sunscreen – Any exposure to the sun is an opportunity for UV rays to damage skin cells and potentially cause cancer. Make sure to protect your skin with long airy clothes and sunscreen.
We hope our dental patients in Leominster and surrounding towns enjoy the summer safely like our dental team will. If you see us out and about don’t hesitate to say a quick hello!